Thursday, September 11, 2014

Beth's Book Blog- "The Giver"

I am a bookworm. No doubt about it. I am stunned when I learn that people I know haven't read a certain book that I'm enamored with. For example, I was shocked when I learned Mrs. Yeo had never read The Outsiders. But, what goes around comes around. I have never been berated as frequently over not-reading a novel as I was with The Giver by Lowis Lowry. Whenever it comes up in conversation, I have had to reluctantly admit that I had never picked up this beloved novel. 


Well, I finally gave into peer pressure and read The Giver. Having had already read and loved Lowry's other novel Number the Stars, and with such a passionate following of readers, I dove into this tome with very high expectations. 

The Giver is suddenly making a huge comeback in popularity. The resurgence is due to it's similar themes to that of other popular teen novels, The Hunger Games and Divergent,  as well as the fact that a movie was released this summer. The book disguises itself as a story of a Utopian society, but peel away the layers and it's heart is fully dystopian. Like Divergent, this book warns the reader of the perils of a society based on similarity. It highlights the value and benefits of having a diverse society rich in individuality. These morals are highlighted as we follow 12 year old Jonas in this coming-of-age story set in the future.

I enjoyed reading this book and completely understand it's devoted following. However, I may have set the bar a little to high with my expectations, as I enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly life-changing for me. But it may be for you! 




No comments:

Post a Comment