Thursday, April 11, 2013

Panic Strategy

What happens when something unforeseen occurs during a test? Your calculator dies? You break you pencil? You get an unexpected question? Don't panic! Panic causes me to forget information. It  distracts me, confuses me, and discourages me.... Now I have a plan for panic!


One of my favorite plans for nervousness or panic is visualizing. Picture yourself in a favorite place. For me, it's the beach. I picture myself sitting in my chair, my eyes closed, my toes playing in the sand, the big white cumulus clouds floating by, and the sun warming my face.  This takes maybe 10 seconds. I can actually feel myself calming down and breathing slower. It's my "time out." What's yours? Running? Listening to music? Whatever it is, go there. Put the test out of your mind for  15 seconds. That's about all the time you will need to get your panic under control and get back to work!
Try it and let me know how you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment