Thursday, September 5, 2013

8 is Enough

Who ever said that I  needed  LESS sleep as I get older? I remember hearing it but I can't remember specifically who said it to me.  What I do know is it's NOT true!  Most research indicates 8 hours of sleep a night is sufficient. Compared to my husband and friends, I sleep way more than they do! I do average 8 hours sleep a night. Guess I am fortunate. I used to think I was just lazy.

I want my body well-rested so I may perform better all day! A good night's sleep benefits everyone -- not just kids!
  • Sleep deprivation affects my memory, my attitude, and my energy level. Who wants to be with a spacey, miserable sloth anyway?
  • Sleep keeps our skin looking healthy. When we sleep, growth hormones are released. These help build muscle mass, thicken skin and strengthen bones.
  •  A lack of sleep lowers the libido!  Have you said or heard, "I'm too tired." or "I'm too stressed"??????
Some suggestions to get 8 hours a night?
  1.  Set a bedtime for you and the kids and stick to it. My husband and I usually have the TV off by 10. Pick a time that works for you and your family.
  2. Do quiet activities before bedtime. I read. Reading with your kids is great bonding time and instills that value.
  3. Avoid sugar, caffeine, exercise too close to bedtime. These raise adrenalin levels. 
  4. If you still experience trouble, see your health care provider.
For kids, sleeping difficulties cause behavior and performance problems in school. 69% of children report sleep difficulties. Alarming, isn't it? For adults, job performance may be affected along with weight gain, depression, and other health issues. So begin today and get your rest! You need it!!! Your body, family, coworkers and friends will appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment