Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pay Attention to Your Attention

Lessons have a way a re-appearing when I haven't learned them.... Sometimes once but more often several times!

Case in point... It's Christmas season... I know that. I know what it involves: advent, shopping, malls, lists, recipes, parties, eating, expectations, more lists, wrapping, traffic, Rudolph, scheduling, work deadlines,  eating, rushing, church, lights, cold weather, candles, cards, stamps, shipping packages, reconnecting, scent of pine, tress, Chanukah, vacation, cookies, more eating, excitement, another list, children, joy, Santa,  Grinch, etc.....

So in the midst of this holiday season, I struggle with my meditation, exercise, and quiet time.My  motivator is my 100 lb German Shepherd, Shila, who needs exercise daily. I love her for that!

Anyway... my attention....and  back to Christmas... I was frantically booking our "After the Holidays" Party on line  during my busy time and  I misplaced my business credit card and my business debit card. I realized this a day after I used them. I searched work, my desk, my home , my clothes, my jackets, my car, my briefcase, closet floors, trash, and anything and every other place I  could search. I had staff, friends, clients, and my husband helping me. No luck...

During this chaos, I realized the stress I was feeling... No quiet time, no meditating, only credit cards..... Which brings me to "My Attention."  While on a retreat 12 years ago, I heard, "Pay attention to your attention." I thought this was so foolish and mimicked it when I came home. My arrogance had the better of me.. The great I am that I  always pay attention to what I am doing...

Now especially at this time, I relearned this lesson and am paying attention to my attention... I want to slow down a bit, breathe, focus on  one task at a  time, stay where my feet are, and yes, pay attention to my attention! Of course, too, I shall continue to make my lists!

No. I did not find my credit cards and as my best friend, Judy, said, "At least that is a problem you can solve." And I did... It was on my list! So slow down, pay attention to your attention, and have a fun-filled season!



No comments:

Post a Comment