Thursday, January 17, 2013

Flu Attack! To Vaccinate or Not???

I am not paranoid....... More people I know have the flu -- even some -- like my husband -- who had a flu shot. The flu has reached epidemic levels in the United States and has spread to 10 other countries. So we ask... To vaccinate or not?  My primary care physician, whom I just love and respect, answered, "Absolutely." So why did I?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, serious side effects or complications from vaccines are exceedingly rare; most vaccines cause only mild side effects like soreness at the injection site.

Community immunity concept. Vaccinating large numbers of people against diseases keeps the number of infections in a community low, reducing the risk of infection for others, like young babies who are not yet old enough to receive certain vaccines. Catching a vaccine-preventable disease not only makes you likely to spread it throughout the community, but there is also the risk of developing rare and serious complications.

I had the MMR series, the polio vaccine, booster shot. I would also have the  HPV vaccine if it were suggested.  Why are outbreaks of measles and the whooping cough seem to be rising? Public health authorities say one possible reason is a growing number of people refusing vaccines.

Another factor to consider whether to have  a flu shot are travelers. We are a mobile people. Travelers to and from other countries may be exposed to and bring the disease home.  Many vaccine-preventable diseases are rare in the United States.

What about  the argument that vaccines cause autism? That argument was retracted after its author, whose medical license was revoked, was found to have altered patient data.

Although my husband did get  the flu and was bed ridden for a weekend, I did not.. His primary care physician stated  that he would have had a more severe case of the flu  had he not been vaccinated. I have been lucky... I credit receiving  the flu shot,  constant hand washing,  and walks outside with my German Sheppard, Shila. Have a flu-free New Year!

For more info....
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/health/flu-widespread-leading-a-range-of-winters-ills.html?_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment