Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Beth's Book of the Month!

I'm doing things a little differently this month. Rather than choose a specific book or author, I want to highlight a list I saw posted online recently. Buzzfeed.com posted a list of "16 Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters This Year". As a bibliophile and a movie-nut, I instantly accepted the challenge. I usually try to focus on books that our students may enjoy, but this list is slanted towards more adult literature. 

I quickly read the first on the list,Joyce Maynard's Labor Day, which I truly enjoyed. Told from the perspective of 13 year old Henry as his family harbors an escaped prisoner, this novel makes you question "labels" that society likes to quickly attach to people and have a more heartwarming perspective on others. The movie will star Kate Winslet as Henry's Mom, and opens in just a few weeks. I'll definitely see it on opening weekend. 

I haven't started book #2 yet, but am looking forward to starting The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel and Brett Witter. I'm not usually drawn to historical or war novels, but this one looks intriguing. And with George Clooney and Matt Damon in the film, I'll be sure to check it out.

As for the rest of the list, there are a few I've already read. Divergent, the first in a trilogy by Veronica Roth, is exciting and action-packed with a strong female heroine. Clearly following in the Hunger Games' superior footsteps, it lacks a lot of the heart that makes The Hunger Games so powerful. Divergent was the best book in Roth's series (it went downhill from there) and I'm still looking forward to see how it adapts to the silver screen.

Also on the list, the immensely popular John Green novel, The Fault In Our Stars. This tragic love story between two teenagers battling cancer is not a mood-lifter, that's for sure. It's a deeply sad story, but it's innocence warms the soul. While not my favorite John Green novel, I will definitely recommend this novel to anyone. It's worth the hype it's receiving. I hope the movie lives up to the power of the novel.

I'm ashamed to publicly admit that I've never read Lois Lowry's classic The Giver. I am very excited to finally dive into this beloved book and see what the movie has to offer. 


Which of these books have YOU read?!

No comments:

Post a Comment