Monday, January 6, 2014

Chores and Allowance

"I hate this." "Why do I always have to do everything?" "How come Chris doesn't have to do anything?"
I remember fighting with my mother because I HAD to  sweep the back stairs every Saturday. We HAD to wash the dishes (no dishwasher), dry them (the dumbest... they dry themselves!) and put them away... UGH!!

I am appalled some kids don't have chores. Why not? Parents often don't want to battle with them. It's often easier for Mom to do it herself. It will get done quicker and correctly if I do it myself. Kids need to relax. I hear lots of crazy excuses. And that is what they are... excuses to not parent.

I am not telling you to have your child wash the kitchen floor with a toothbrush. I am saying have your child sweep the kitchen floor, set or clear the table, gather all sneakers and shoes and put them in respective rooms. Chores are not punishment. 

I am saying chores instill values. Values like self-esteem, team work, sense of accomplishment. They are part of your child's growth and development. 

Should you give them an allowance? No. No  allowance. This is about responsibility.

Delegate chores today! Give praise when they are doing them. And when they have completed them. Notice them! And be consistent! Follow through so they realize it is their chore! You won't do it.

Which chore are age  appropriate? Read the webmd article for a list.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/chores-for-children?page=2
http://childparenting.about.com/od/familyhome/a/chores.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment